I'm primarily concerned about running out of space in broker memory. And
we're not load-balancing between the applications; they are completely
different, but both consume from some of the same topics that the clients
publish to.

Application 1 can fall behind when processing some of those messages. With
flow control enabled, and no destination policies, then both brokers 1 and
3 could dedicate 100% of their memory to those topic, thus starving all the
other messages.

Anyway, you answered my question, I think: if we have destination policies
in broker 1 to prevent that problem, we need a similar destination policy
in broker 3.

Thanks again for the help.