> If I make any change at all to the slave broker.xml file the
"configuration reload" feature takes effect and starts/enables the
acceptors on the Slave.

How did you test that?  Looking at the code it appears the configuration
reload logic shouldn't touch the acceptors.  Also, I just tested this on a
simple replicated live/backup pair and when I updated a security-setting on
the backup the acceptors didn't activate and it continued backing up the
live broker as expected.

> is there a way to completely disable configuration reload all together?

Set <configuration-file-refresh-period> to a really high number.  This
won't completely disable it technically speaking, but will effectively
disable it.

> Can configuration reload be configured to also take into account address
and security configuration that has happened via the
management api?

Many of the changes made via the management API are volatile.  However,
adding queues should be persistent.  If reloading broker.xml causes queues
added via the management API to disappear I think that's likely a bug.

> is there a way to configure the configuration reload to consider the fact
that it is supposed to be part of a cluster?

I'd need to understand the problematic use-case better before commenting on
that further.

Justin