transaction commit is a sync operation... if an async send in a transaction
fails, then the commit will rollback via: rollbackOnlyOnAsyncException

w.r.t spikes in send, have you enabled the preallocation strategy on
kahadb, it may be worth toggling to see the effect in your env. Also,
ackCompaction may be in the way. To get to the bottom of it would need some
thread dumps or profiling... but those are the big events that effect io.