XA transactions?
normally the transaction is on the session and connection... so any async
call will complete before the commit.. unless maybe nio is mixing this up
some.
do you have some code that will show the rollbackOnlyOnAsyncException case
where the tx is null.

There is a test case that can provide the basis for some experiments:
AMQ3166Test