From: Justin Bertram <jbert...@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2023 9:48 AM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Re: Messages accumulating in management queue

*** [Caution] This email is from an external source. Please use caution
responding, opening attachments or clicking embedded links. ***

> I don’t know if that image comes through the mailing list...

I can't see your image. For what it's worth, attachments don't usually make it
through the list.

Could you upload the image to another location and provide a link?

Also, could you provide the full stack-trace of the NPE?

I don't see in your code where you're actually closing the ClientRequestor so
that might be a problem. Without more details it's impossible to say.

Justin

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 10:31 AM John Lilley
<john.lil...@redpointglobal.com.invalid<mailto:john.lil...@redpointglobal.com.invalid>>
 wrote:
Greetings!

We are using the Artemis queue-based management APIs, and noticed that one of
the two management queues that appears in the console starts to grow without
bound:

I don’t know if that image comes through the mailing list, but it shows two of
the
xn--activemq-2p3d.management<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fxn--activemq-2p3d.management&c=E,1,yM5VuqjniGEfl7K4rM70Xa-2jC5pkpu2WMCuv2o_9ssgUAyqDzgAfPDtdn-xMCHxrbyaUxPnF2oUZkGoCF_o-vv_o42p3PRnI9YguDv7nT8RO5syVzebSQ,,&typo=1&ancr_add=1><UUID>”
  queues, and one of the counts is in the 100s.  It just keeps growing and
growing by about 300 per minute.

I’ve tried to browse this queue on the management console, but the browse()
operation shows an NPE:
java.lang.NullPointerException : Cannot invoke
"org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.paging.cursor.PageSubscription.iterator(boolean)"
 because "this.this$0.pageSubscription" is null

The calls we are making are like:
String resourceName = ResourceNames.QUEUE + queueName;
ClientRequestor client = getClient();
ClientSession clientSession = …
ClientMessage request = clientSession.createMessage(false);
ManagementHelper.putAttribute(request, resourceName, attributeName);
ClientMessage reply = client.request(request);

Or
ClientRequestor client = getClient();
ClientMessage request = clientSession.createMessage(false);
ManagementHelper.putAttribute(request, resourceName, attributeName);
ClientMessage reply = client.request(request);
if (ManagementHelper.hasOperationSucceeded(reply)) {
       for (var value : (Object[])ManagementHelper.getResult(reply,
Object.class)) {
              result.add(value.toString());
       }

Any idea what we are doing wrong?

This happens on windows or linux

Artemis version 2.27.0.

java –version
openjdk 17.0.3 2022-04-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-17.0.3+7 (build 17.0.3+7)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-17.0.3+7 (build 17.0.3+7, mixed mode, sharing)

Thanks
john

[rg]<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.redpointglobal.com%2f&c=E,1,y0ymtXAc9XiBAplLMyDSTkbZPAR64gUyHhSGTjs8RK2_en31lUYrNYUf9Da_DM9WCm4_pRY8h4_s7PAUvD5SJfK1UCvi3Clxrot9XAr38A,,&typo=1>

John Lilley

Data Management Chief Architect, Redpoint Global Inc.

888 Worcester Street, Suite 200 Wellesley, MA 02482

M: +1 7209385761<tel:+1%207209385761> |
john.lil...@redpointglobal.com<mailto:john.lil...@redpointglobal.com>

PLEASE NOTE: This e-mail from Redpoint Global Inc. (“Redpoint”) is confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is
addressed. If you believe you received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately, delete the e-mail from your computer and do not copy, print
or disclose it to anyone else. If you properly received this e-mail as a
customer, partner or vendor of Redpoint, you should maintain its contents in
confidence subject to the terms and conditions of your agreement(s) with
Redpoint.