I created a ticket with a patch. Thanks!
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-1645

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Kim [mailto:charl...@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 3:57 PM
To: users@archiva.apache.org
Subject: archetype-catalog.xml failing with Not a valid artifact path

Hi,
"mvn archetype:generate
-DarchetypeCatalog=http://host:9999/repository/public/foo/maven_archetypes";
will append the archetype-catalog.xml and it should fetch the list of
archetypes.  However, this is failing on Archiva where an exception is thrown
with "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Not a valid artifact path in a Maven
2 repository, filename 'archetype-catalog.xml' doesn't start with artifact ID"
since Archiva is treating this as an artifact.

I think there needs to be a check for such case similar to metadata file for an
archetype catalog so that it doesn't try to check for valid artifact format.  I
can create a ticket and submit a patch for this.
Thanks.
-Charlie