in trunk.
if blank .indexer directory is created in the repository directory.
I agree "Index Directory" is a bit confusing option.
As this doesn't work really if you configure something outside of the
top of your repository directory.
Furthermore I have noticed changing the value it's not dynamic (need a restart).
So I will try to fix that.
Currently what you can do is adding a value with a directory inside
your repository directory.
If repository use /home/archiva/repo/mygreat-repo
use /home/archiva/repo/mygreat-repo/.indexer
I will try to fix that in trunk (or at least improve documentation ! )