Your expectations are correct, and it works for us exactly that way.

Can you show us the POM your using, the settings.xml involved and the
exact error messages Maven gives you?

Especially it should tell you, which repository it tried to access.

Also If you don't specify a whitelist, it should allow everything, so
you don't need to specify "**/*"

Greetings
-Sascha-