Hi Willem,
I upgraded to Camel 2.8.4 and CXF 2.4.6 and I still see this behavior.  Here
is my route.  It basically reads from a folder and calls a web service:

                <endpoint id="foobarWebserviceEndpoint"

uri="cxf:bean:foobarRelocationService?dataFormat=PAYLOAD&amp;loggingFeatureEnabled=true"
/>

                <camel:route id="foobarRelocationHandlerConnector"
errorHandlerRef="foobarRelocationDeadLetterErrorHandler">
                        <camel:from uri="foobarRelocationInputDir" />
                        <camel:log message="Received file for foobar
Relocations: ${file:name}"
/>
                        <camel:setHeader headerName="operationName">
                                <constant>opName</constant>
                        </camel:setHeader>
                        <camel:setHeader headerName="operationNamespace">
                                <constant>http://www.namespace.com/</constant>
                        </camel:setHeader>
                        <camel:to uri="foobarWebserviceEndpoint" />
                        <camel:log message="Called foobar intermediary" />
                </camel:route>

        </camel:camelContext>

        <bean id="foobarRelocationDeadLetterErrorHandler"
class="org.apache.camel.builder.DeadLetterChannelBuilder">

                <property name="deadLetterUri"
value="foobarRelocationDeadLetterDir" />

                <property name="redeliveryPolicy"
ref="foobarRelocationRedeliveryPolicyConfig" />
        </bean>

        <bean id="foobarRelocationRedeliveryPolicyConfig"
class="org.apache.camel.processor.RedeliveryPolicy">

                <property name="maximumRedeliveries" value="3" />

                <property name="redeliveryDelay" value="5000" />
        </bean>

I get a connection refused error when I shut down the server:

[rna/relocation/connector/input] PhaseInterceptorChain          DEBUG
Invoking handleFault on interceptor
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.BareOutInterceptor@4320d68d
org.apache.cxf.binding.soap.interceptor.SoapOutInterceptor@5538615e
org.apache.cxf.ws.addressing.soap.MAPCodec@465e34ce
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.StaxOutInterceptor@5123ac44
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.AttachmentOutInterceptor@674a93a6
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.LoggingOutInterceptor@491f03e4
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.MessageSenderInterceptor@1338933d
org.apache.cxf.binding.soap.interceptor.SoapPreProtocolOutInterceptor@20e5e569
org.apache.cxf.binding.soap.interceptor.SoapHeaderOutFilterInterceptor@7d02cdf9
org.apache.cxf.ws.addressing.MAPAggregator@5c04e904
[rna/relocation/connector/input] PhaseInterceptorChain          DEBUG
Invoking handleFault on interceptor
org.apache.cxf.ws.policy.PolicyOutInterceptor@7f1ef3e7
[rna/relocation/connector/input] PhaseInterceptorChain          WARN
Interceptor for
{http://www.XXX.com}FOOBAR-Relocation#{http://www.XXX.com/1.0.0}SubmitFOOBARPackage
has thrown exception, unwinding now
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.Fault: Could not generate the XML stream caused
by: com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxIOException: Connection refused.
        at
org.apache.cxf.databinding.source.XMLStreamDataWriter.write(XMLStreamDataWriter.java:91)[cxf-rt-core-2.4.6.jar:2.4.6]
        at
org.apache.cxf.databinding.source.XMLStreamDataWriter.write(XMLStreamDataWriter.java:50)[cxf-rt-core-2.4.6.jar:2.4.6]
        at
org.apache.camel.component.cxf.HybridSourceDataBinding$1.write(HybridSourceDataBinding.java:101)[camel-cxf-2.8.4.jar:2.8.4]

After this the route continues rather than trying redelivery.  If I throw an
exception processor in there:

        <camel:to uri="bean:throwit"/>

        <bean id="throwit" class="org.search.processor.Process"/>

Then I see the redelivery attempts happen.  This does not happen with the
web service 'connection refused' though...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Yogesh