Thank you very much Claus, great hints!

I found the ExchangeBuilder in Camel 2.11 and later, so it is not available
in my version, but I have to keep that in mind.

However, I found a CamelTestSupport.createExchangeWithBody() method that
seems to create an Exchange from my body object. Then I could add my
headers and properties and use the send-method that takes an Exchange. Or I
use the send-method that takes a processor as you also suggested.

Regards
Stephan