Thank you Willem.

I had added the "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" content-type because I
saw it in another thread.  Maybe that wasn't a good idea.

I did try your solution of setting the parameters in the body but it still
doesn't send them as POST parameters. In this case it sends the parameters
in the request body. The web service I am calling is unable to access the
parameters.

Are there other options/ideas I could try?

from("timer://runOnce?repeatCount=1")
 .onException(Exception.class)
 .handled(true)
 .process(new GenericExceptionProcessor())
 .end()
 .setHeader(Exchange.HTTP_METHOD, constant("POST"))
 .setHeader(Exchange.CONTENT_TYPE,
constant("application/x-www-form-urlencoded"))

.setBody(constant("serviceType=getNextIDFromDB&serviceID=1&dataElementID=814&dataSourceID=50"))

.to("https://dev-sdsservices-was8/IMSDSWebService/servlet/SDSClientRequestServlet";
     +
"?proxyHost=VDDP03C-EDB4ED9&proxyPort=8888&httpClient.authenticationPreemptive=true"

     + "&authMethod=Basic&authUsername=********&authPassword=********"
     + "&httpClient.soTimeout=5000")
 .to("file:{{sf.archive.dir}}?fileName=sds-response.xml")
 .end();

Regards, John