I am planning on running a mix of service offerings, mostly small but their will be some pretty large database/processing servers using 2+ cores. Won't know how large yet.

- Pete

-----Original Message----- From: Bradley Hieber
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:07 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Variable speed CPUs

What is the service offering for the guest machines? The service offering
governs the type of virtual CPU presented to the guest.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Pete Johnson <pjohnso...@verizon.net>wrote:

Hi,
I have build a small private cloud for an R&D project for one of my
clients.  I have 3 hosts each with 16gb memory and 8 cores (AMD) per host.
   I’m using Cloudstack 4.1 and hosts are Ubuntu 12.04 w/KVM.   These CPUs
can vary clock speeds based on bios settings which is enabled.  The
Cloudstack dashboard correctly estimates the CPU clock speed at its MAX of
3500 MHz. But, when I log onto the guests and run virt-top it says 1400MHz
which I assume is its current throttled down clock speed.  I am still
setting things up and have not had the chance to put the hosts under enough
load to see of it clocks up.  My questions are:  Does Cloudstack support
viewable clocked CPUs in hosts? How does Cloudstack support variable
clocked hosts from a real-time capacity load perspective and a usage
perspective.
Thanks
Pete Johnson

--