Hi all,

Firstly thanks for the great responses already.

Secondly, regarding HA vs failover, I had been assuming these as much the
same. Based on what I had read about the new changes in 4.3, I had assumed
that the new feature allows you to configure standard MySQL (clustering not
required - Galera or otherwise) in a multimaster replication setup and that
while management servers only speak with a single server at a time,
failover to a backup server is automatic and does not need any work on the
MySQL side to promote a slave to a master as with a basic master/slave
setup.

I'm personally not interested in load balancing just yet, simply having a
hot standby DB that takes over automatically. This is what I take the term
HA to mean.

>From the wiki, I'm also taking it that the use of the auto increment and
offset values ensure that the two DBs can safely run as master-master in
the event that each gets written to concurrently (split brain or just two
mgmt servers failing over at slightly different times).

It seems that this thread is already highlighting some of the confusion I
and others have faced. Hopefully it will help someone else.

Thanks again,

Adrian