On 01/10/2016 10:07 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> Ok, understood. However, it will be up to users on their own to pick
> this LTS maintainment up.

It would be up to the devs making fixes small (so no squashing for
fixes) and notify the one maintaining the LTS version if they feel the
fix is that important to be in LTS. Wouldn't be that hard work.

> That means testing, releasing, testing, backporting, testing, releasing.
>
> Certain users will focus on getting new releases out and others on doing
> LTS work.

The process of backporting is not defined yet, but I would like to adopt
the Linux kernel long term policy:

* Fix must be already in mainline
* Fix must be important.
* Fix must be obvious and small.

Which means, we only fix stuff in LTS which is already fixed in
mainline. Important stuff only.

We can even define, the mainline version must be released with the fix,
before getting into LTS. So even the LTS releases would be behind the
mainline releases and the fix has been tested in mainline.