All,

I've been pondering a bit about a possible small-scale, HA setup:

Hardware

2 Nodes, each with 2 1Gbe and 2 10Gbe NICs

Both have hardware RAID controllers, redundant PS, Array controller with
BBWC and hot plug SAS drives.

If we'd "combine" the quick setup for CentOS6 (
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.9/qi
g.html ) with the "additional management server" part (
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.9/ma
nagement-server/index.html#additional-management-servers ) then we'd have 2
management servers.

To make the local storage of both nodes "HA", one could use DRBD in a
"primary-primary" setup, so VM migration is possible as well. (I am not yet
clear on how to present this storage to the nodes)

To avoid split brain-situations, I see two possible strategies:

1)      Direct cabling of the 10Gbe controllers => Loss of connection can
only mean either one host is dead, or at least its NIC has died.

2)      Usage of IPMI / Fencing

Did anybody gather experience in a setup like that?

Does anybody have any thoughts on this - improvements, comments, doubts: Hit
me!

Cheers,

JK

*         I came to this "setup", after a few issues with Xen Server 6.5
combined with "HA-Lizard", which actually uses DRBD in combination with TGTD
iSCSI. On the one side, I've had quite a few stability issues with Xen 6.5
and on the other side: The CS MS needs to be outside of this cluster . but
still needs to be installed on a redundant / HA piece of kit.

JeroenKeerl

Keerl IT Services GmbH
Birkenstraße 1b. 21521 Aumühle

+49 177 6320 317

www.keerl-it.com
i...@keerl-it.com

Geschäftsführer. Jacobus J. Keerl
Registergericht Lubeck. HRB-Nr. 14511

Unsere Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen finden Siehier.