GitHub user weizhouapache added a comment to the discussion: Support for
Autoscale, using VNF in L2 Networks.

> Hi @weizhouapache ,
>
> Allowing VNF to be the LB Provider would be great, but come to think of it, i
> think it will pose a challenge because Cloudstack will need to recognise the
> different metrics that the VNF outputs for Scale Up, Scale Down etc.
>
> If Autoscale relies on Virtual Router for now, then would this suggestion
> below be easier to implement instead?
>
> ![Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 1 58 27
> pm](https://private-user-images.githubusercontent.com/147712084/335057962-b3362127-147c-4a0c-b1af-825c586c958f.png?jwt=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJnaXRodWIuY29tIiwiYXVkIjoicmF3LmdpdGh1YnVzZXJjb250ZW50LmNvbSIsImtleSI6ImtleTUiLCJleHAiOjE3MTcwNDkyNTgsIm5iZiI6MTcxNzA0ODk1OCwicGF0aCI6Ii8xNDc3MTIwODQvMzM1MDU3OTYyLWIzMzYyMTI3LTE0N2MtNGEwYy1iMWFmLTgyNWM1ODZjOTU4Zi5wbmc_WC1BbXotQWxnb3JpdGhtPUFXUzQtSE1BQy1TSEEyNTYmWC1BbXotQ3JlZGVudGlhbD1BS0lBVkNPRFlMU0E1M1BRSzRaQSUyRjIwMjQwNTMwJTJGdXMtZWFzdC0xJTJGczMlMkZhd3M0X3JlcXVlc3QmWC1BbXotRGF0ZT0yMDI0MDUzMFQwNjAyMzhaJlgtQW16LUV4cGlyZXM9MzAwJlgtQW16LVNpZ25hdHVyZT1iMDBlN2M2NGNmYTU2ODQ5ZDI5NmMxN2E1NzQwMWZkN2ExZTRmNjIwOGNjMTM0MmYwMTkwMGJlMmQ1NTIwZDM2JlgtQW16LVNpZ25lZEhlYWRlcnM9aG9zdCZhY3Rvcl9pZD0wJmtleV9pZD0wJnJlcG9faWQ9MCJ9.YfHJZTb5REsfN1N2BsdGfz6zrOTyN0fHxOKQO_ieYmM)
>
> In this diagram:
>
> * No change to the way Autoscaling works is required.
> * Virtual Router just needs to be allowed to route incoming traffic from the
> internet, to the VNF.
> * VNF will then return the traffic back to Virtual Router.
> * Any VNF can be used as its just routing of traffic.
>
> I believe a UI is needed to specify the conditions in which the Virtual
> Router will route the traffic to the VNF. I think basic conditions will do,
> as the more advanced stuff will be done by the VNF.

currently Autoscaling supports 5 counters, see
https://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/adminguide/autoscale_with_virtual_router.html#id2
the cpu/memory usage are fetched from hypervisor
the network/lb metrics are fetched from virtual routers.
for now, cloudstack does not get metrics for Autoscaling from other sources.

it looks like you need a feature like traffic mirroring.
@btzq

GitHub link:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/discussions/9158#discussioncomment-9615372

----