Both side are true ...
in cocoon 2.0.4 the syntax is
   <source:write src="xml/resource-list.xml"
  xmlns:source="http://apache.org/cocoon/source/1.0"; overwrite="true">
        <xsl:copy-of select="/*"/>
    </source:write>
It's not what is explained on cocoon 2.0 documentation but the exemples in
scratchpad show this  (see mount/editor/tests and particulary file
make-page.xsl) this version of sourcewritting is limited to create (update
do NOT work i experienced this for you).

In cocoon 2.1 the format is the one presented in the documentation of
cocoon 2.1 and 2.0.