Since CVS doesn't store binary diffs, storing all of the jars in CVS could
chew up disk space quickly if you're going to be changing versions of Cocoon
often.

It could also make it painful to upgrade to a new version of Cocoon later.
You could consider storing the Cocoon war, either in CVS or as a Maven
project, and using some automation to extract that war into your development
and/or build environment. Like everything, this approach comes with its own
disadvantages.

Regarding CVS, you should be able to check in a directory with mixed binary
and text files. There's a file you can edit in the CVSROOT (can't remember
which file) that lets you configure CVS to recognize which files are binary
by their extension.

Morley