<snapped>

Well you cannot go around deleting stuff and copying
other stuff and then expect the poor thing to still work.
True, this was actually about 10 months ago, where I got the 2.0.4 distro and had no clue what was "core" and what were examples i didn't need. There was a wiki entry back then explaining how to create a streamlined 2.0.4 build.

I suggest that you get a fresh 2.0.4 distribution, get that running, then see what differences there are with your version.
yup that's what i did (actually 2.0.5 dev), and all is fine again. DTD's are resolving locally with the catalogmanager now. (and my SVG are generated *much* faster, it matches almost the speed of batik-squiggle now)

Thanks for your help. Jorg