In the cocoon.xconf I added:
<classpath>file://myproject/src/java</classpath>
just under the check-time element, under flow-interpreters/component-instance.

In webapp/myproject/java/src I have my/package/TestFile.java
However, when from flowscript I try:
print(new Packages.my.package.TestFile().testMethod("parameter"));
I get a 500 error: The undefined value has no properties
If, however, I compile this class and put it in my WEB-INF/classes folder everything
works as expected.  What am I missing?

-Jake