Derek Hohls wrote:

In the Cocoon sample set for modular database actions,
the author says:

"Note, that we do no parameter validation here, just see if some parameters are present. For a real application, you'd want to check their values as well. "

* First question - has anyone created an application that uses
Woody form processing to do some data validation before the
map:act processing takes over - if so, even a simple example
of how best to integrate all the myriad files would be appreciated!

I haven't done this. But one idea might be to access the data through JXPath and tweak a little the defaults for the actions, so that table and attribute are not separated by "." but by "/" and setting a prefix or whatever. If you can access the object holding the data through an input module, you're almost done. Since I haven't done this, I cannot provide much more than this.

However, you should seriously consider to use a persistence layer
like OJB or Hibernate. The database actions are really very similar
but less powerful.

The author of the example also says:

"Note too, that in a more complex setup you'd want to use an action set for this rather than spell it out everywhere."

* Second question: Has anyone got an example of how this might
work and how it might change (improve?) the example as shown?

In an action set the action to fire is dependent on a parameter named "cocoon-action" (IIRC this can be changed). So you group several actions into a set and reference only the set in your pipeline.

HTH

Chris.