Sorry, I don't know if this is possible. My guess is that the "scope" of the map returned by act2 will be lost once you pop the stack out of the "else" of act2. I've always had error pages tailored to each error condition or used the same pipeline invoked in both places.
Steve

No, what I want is if I have multiple actions and any of them fails I want to
display a error message in the file generated when the actions fail .

for eg
        <map act type="act1">
                <map act type="act2">
                        //if successful do something
                </map:act>
        </map:act>
                //if failed then
        <map generate src="failure.xsp">

Here in failure.xsp I want to display an error which act has failed. Something
like "act1 has failed or act2 has failed". Is there a way I can do that?

Thanks,
Anna.