Enrico Migliore wrote:

Stephan Michels wrote:

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Enrico Migliore wrote:

Dear Stephan

I may have spot where the problem is. In the following file:

              .\cocoon-2.1.5\src\blocks\javaflow\TODO.txt

I found the following script:

What is left to do?
-------------------
- allow the ability to reload the java flow classes using for example the
CompilingClassLoader.

Does that mean that, at the moment, it's not possible to reload a class
at runtime?

Yes, that's true. But this depends on the reloading behaviour of the
servlet classloader. If a class changed and the servlet container
reload the whole servlet then there won't be a problem. But
if it doesn't reload the servlet then the ContinuationClassloader will
stick to the previous class.

I think that your problem can be solved, but I never tested the reloading
behaviour of jetty, because I don't know how to activate it.

Stephan

Dear Stephan,

I'm investingating about how to instruct Jetty to reload a servlet, and
eventually I will post to the mailing list the result, in case of success.

I got just one dubt: if I reload the Cocoon servlet at each client's request,
all new classes' instances will forget completely their previous history:
continuations, the value of all instance variables...am I right?

Wow. You really must not reload the cocoon servlet at each request. The servlet does a lot of things like initialising loads of avalon objects, etc. If you did that at every request, you can expect your servlet container to die very quickly.

Jetty can reload a class if you compile it while at a breakpoint, I use that regularly. But to have it reload when a class has changed would be really neat.

Regards, Upayavira