Hi Alan,

First off (you may know this already), the Cocoon portal is a framework of
components that allows you to build custom portals. It is not an "out of the
box" portal solution like for example - Plumtree. That being said, Cocoon
itself offers many advantages "as a whole" and there are plenty of examples
where companies have built portals using the framework.

> 1. How is Single Sign On achieved with CP?
> The client is running numerous backend systems and would like
> to aggregate content through the portal. For example
> documents from the Document Management System and KPI's from
> Oracle. How does the CP handle this?

The portal uses "portlets" to aggregate the content. A portlet can be a
Cocoon pipeline, a JSR 168 portlet, a plain URI or custom Java class. Using
a Cocoon pipeline you can then utilize the available Cocoon components as
you would in a normal Cocoon application.

Single sign-on to the external systems could then be implemented in the
respective pipelines. You would need to maintain a central mapping of portal
logon to the different systems (for example using LDAP) and then access the
required information in the pipeline and pass it on to the external systems.
Exactly how you do that is dependent on the system.

> 2. Universal Search
> How would you implement a universal search of all content
> sources using CP?

You would have to implement that using the specific search interfaces of the
systems and then keeping the index in say a Cocoon based store. Cocoon
provides components that will help you with that - but the actual
functionality would have to be implemented.

> 3. Document and Records Management
> Are there any recommended open source document management
> systems (preferably Java based) that integrate well with CP?
> Anyone have any specific experiences with these?

I don't really think there are any "recommended" ones. Normally it will be
easiest to integrate systems that provide standardized apis (WebDAV, HTTP,
other).

> I'm fairly non technical, operating at an executive viewpoint
> so high level non technical answers would be appreciated.

I hope that helps a bit. Let me know if you need further questions answering
:-).

Matthew Langham

Competence Center Open Source
S&N AG              Tel.: +49-5251/1581-30
netBank solutions   Fax : +49-5251/1581-71
Klingenderstr. 5    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
D-33100 Paderborn   http://www.s-und-n.de