Ugo

No, I don't want to make it more complicated than
it needs to be - but perhaps because it seems obscure
then I assume it's complex.

I agree that storing well-formed XML data is the
ideal here... the solution you propose is one which
(a) works on a single field, and
(b) stores that field  as a CLOB in a RDB
Right?   I am trying to solve the problem of having
the data from a number of CForm fields stored back into
an XML file using the existing CForms framework.  So,
a "simple" (to me) solution is one which identifies where
and how I insert the code-call you have written into the
exisiting framework. To keep it really simple, you could
refer to the Cocoon sample that uses (or could use)
htmlArea ;-)  e.g.

samples/blocks/forms/form2xml.flow    or
samples/blocks/forms/htmlarea

Thanks
Derek

Il giorno 23/nov/04, alle 14:39, Derek Hohls ha scritto:

> Well, all this may be clear to you... but not to me :{

I'm not saying that it should be crystal clear to you, just that you
should not try to make it more complex than it is :)

> Where I am trying to get to is not to deal with single
> "bits" of htmlArea text, but with an entire file created
> using a Cform.  Are you proposing that each field containing
> htmlArea text must be "intercepted" and processed before
> the form data is stored?

Yes. It would be better if you stored well-formed XML data by cleaning

it once rather than every time you read it back.

> I am not sure why you have created the "dom" variable
> in your script below, or what you would do with it.

My method returns an org.w3c.dom.Document, i.e. an in-memory
representation of a well-formed XML document. What you want to do with

it is up to you. In the application from which I excerpted that class,

I serialize it to a String and store it in a CLOB in a relational
database.

> There are likely to be a number of users, all creating and
> drawing data from different files via CForms; is this
> likely to be a problem?

If contention is a problem, you can always pool instances of XML
parsers, or use the parser provided by Avalon that is already pooled
and made available to Cocoon components. Since I usually tend to stay
away from Avalon code, I am sorry but I cannot help you with this.

        Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

believed to be clean.