let me give an exaple

your home.xhtml is in
/demosite/home.xhtml

from a page in http://localhost:8080/cocoon/demosite/page1.xhtml
a link to home will be : href="page1.xhtml"

form a page in /demosite/foo/page2.xhtml
a link to home will be : href="../page1.xhtml"

and so on

if this link is a reusable code fragment then you have tou use
not relative but full path like

href="/cocoon/demosite/homex.html"

and this must change if you have to move from dev env to production
where the home is

http://www.foo.com/home.xhtml

and the reference to home can be "/home.xhtml" from any page