David wrote:
I have been but it isn't working. Do you konw what the correct negation operator is?

I know this works in PHP: ^((?!bob).)*$
and I read that this should work in Java: ((?!bob).)*
but it does not work in xmap's regexp matcher.

An example would be great.
Eg.
"!bob"

Hmm, it actually might not be all that easy. The RegexpURIMatcher uses the org.apache.regexp package.

Details about the syntax are at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/regexp/apidocs/org/apache/regexp/RE.html

and it seems like you can do negation, but only with character classes (Unless I'm missing something painfully obvious)

I guess the brute force ugly way would be to subclass AbstractRegexpMatcher to return true if the RE *doesn't* match, or allow the matcher to take a parameter to tell it to use inverse logic for determining a match.

Tony