It reads a Cocoon pipeline, which converts a Word HTML file to XML.
Then it sends this as a string in a parameter, to a pipeline that
processes it further.

Why not read WordML? :)

What I *would like* to do, is to send XML in the parameter, instead of a string.
Is this possible? Does anyone have a solution for me?

Isn't it easier to change your upload pipe to read an internal pipe directly?

In short something like:

<pattern="cleanwhtm/**">
        read and clean html using base and page parameters

<pattern="upload/**">
        <generate src="cocoon:/{1}">
        <!-- set upload header flags and serialize -->

flowscript:
        sendPage("upload/cleanwhtm" + base + page);

HTH,
Geert