Count this as a big +1 from me. We only run cocoon in a Java 5 VM anyway.

The Concurrency package alone is a big reason to adopt Java 5. The speed of many algorithms can be vastly improved, as well as being made more thread-safe. Then there is the enhanced type safety you get with generics. You can even get significant code reduction while maintaining type safety when generics are properly applied, by removing duplicated code that changes only by its type.

If you wait until after 2.2 is released to upgrade the required JVM for cocoon, you then have to worry about how many existing 2.2 users you leave high and dry. By making the move at this time, there is a logical break. Any users that want to use an earlier VM can still use the 2.1 branch. Presumably the 2.1 branch will be maintained as a bug-fix branch, which probably wouldn't be the case for some 2.2.x release if you decided to up the required JVM for the 2.2.x+1 release.

Also, there are projects around that let you run Java 5 code on earlier VMs, so if someone really needed to run Cocoon 2.2 on an older JVM they could look into that.

In summary: Just Giv'er!

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

On [EMAIL PROTECTED] we have started to dicuss whether we can make Java 5 becoming the minimum requirement for Cocoon 2.2. Note that this discussion is completly unrelated to Cocoon 2.1 which needs JDK 1.3.

The arguments pro Java 5 which was officially releases almost 2 years ago, are the support of generics, annotations, build-in JMX, simpler loop syntax, and many small improvements to a lot of classes.

As Cocoon 2.2 hasn't been released yet, there is no existing user base. Hence people are not forced to use Java 5 just because of a new patch release. We plan to do a release based on the 2.1.X branch within the next months, which might be the last one of this series.

The question now is whether making Java 5 the minimum requirement is a hurdle for people who plan to migrate or not.

Your opinion is appreciated!