Franziska Witzani <franziska.witzani <at> e-tecture.com> writes:

> I do. But for example dataModel.getChildren() is not defined (throws an
> error).

So you might still be on the JavaScript wrapper hiding the Java API, not the
actual Java object.

> In Form.js, it says
>
> function Form(formDefinition) {
> this.formWidget = new Widget(this.form);
> }
>
> Form.prototype.getModel = function() {
>     return this.formWidget;
> }
>
> So the returned object must be of class Widget.

I really wondered about this one as well. What's Widget actually? There is no
import in this file, only thing I found was the reference to/ defineClass of
ScriptableWidget.

> I found a JavaAdapter-thing with a Java-interface in Widget.java (lies in
> src.blocks.forms.java.org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel) and the
> corresponding Widget.js (lies in src\blocks\ajax\resources\org\apache\cocoon\
> dojo\resources\dojo-0.3.1-widget\src\widget).
> (I assume - am I wrong?)
> But I can't call the functions defined there, so it must be the wrong class.

I'd wonder if CForms itself depends on Dojo. Dojo should only be used on the
client side. So I *guess* you are wrong, but I don't know actually.

> The toString()-method of my object likely returns something else than defined
> there.

What does it return? Maybe it points to something.

> > I only wonder how you get the data back into the form model after the
> > continuation gets called. Is there some pageLocal.restoreState() in
> > which you can write your loadValue() code?
>
> Actually I don't know how that PageLocal-object works, but it sets back
> itself. I do not trigger that explicitly. I assume the pageLocla.object saves
> a state of himself referenced by the continuation-id.
> But this is only an assumption.

That's interesting ...

> > Also the above looks very much like some data binding. Maybe you can
> > just reuse the binding framework.
>
> What do you mean by that?

CForms has a binding framework, with which you can bind your form model to a
data model (be it objects or XML). I thought before programming binding of form
model to a page local and back you could reuse that one. But if PageLocal has so
much auto magic you don't need it.

> Yes, I wanted to say, that reading the values in a loop doesn't work.

Why?

> And getValue should return the value of a inner(e.g. a field-widget) widget,
> so I don’t understand why using it here.

Can't follow again :( In my pseudo code I did some traversing of the form model
by using getChildren() (if it would be available). This should give you access
to the nested widgets.

As Shakespeare wrote: ... that's the question :)

> PS: And thanks a lot for your help and your trying to understand my problem
> so far. I appreciate that very much and hope you won't give up soon... ;)

:)

I'm quite patient as long as there is some progress and the counterpart is
willing to investigate on itself as well. That seems to be the case with you ;)

Joerg