Mansour wrote:

The cocoon build will also create cocoon.xconf and put the definitions you need for the desired blocks in it. You should only modify it if you are adding your own components. Again, you'll only do this if you know what you are doing and have a reason.
That's what I am trying to do. I am trying to know what I am doing.
Maybe, but it also sounds like you are trying to run before you can walk. Cocoon 2.1 is built on the Avalon framework. You would need to have a basic understanding of that before you could realistically create any Cocoon components. In addition, of course, you would need to understand all the various pipleline components such as generators, actions and input modules and whether they should be defined in the sitemap or Cocoon.xconf.

Cocoon 2.2, on the other hand, is now based on Spring. However, components still look like they are based on Avalon for compatibility. In 2.2 though the decision was made that all component declarations should be removed from the sitemap and moved to a more appropriate location. It is my understanding that there is now a mixture of Spring configuration along with Avalon-style configuration. To be honest I haven't looked at all the changes in depth myself so I'm not 100% sure about what is where.

So, in short, with 2.1 the best way to build your own Cocoon application is to follow the directions and edit local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties to suit your needs. Then go on from there.

As others have stated, the process with 2.2 is very different than this and is hopefully easier. If you have problems trying to build 2.2 feel free to keep asking for help.
I did not have any difficulties with the build. It's maven !! how can it fail. I was having difficulties understanding how the config files fit together and the role and contents for each of them. :)
I understand, and as I said that has changed somewhat in 2.2. But you should be able to find your answers by doing a build with all the blocks and then looking at the result. At least, that is what I would do.

Ralph