Hello Jeroen,

i've also commented inline:

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Jeroen Reijn <j.re...@onehippo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> see my comments inline:
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Brecht Schoolmeesters
> <brecht.schoolmeest...@zappware.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > we are currently using cocoon for transforming source xml files into xml
> > files in a different format. The transformations are pretty heavy because
> > data from other xml files is inserted and also transformed.
> > When using cocoon on our test server, we saw that the memory usage was
> > peaking at around 1.1Gb RAM. We were testing with about 10 clients
> sending
> > requests every 1.5second. Is this normal memory usage for cocoon?
>
> That depends. It would be interesting for us to know which version of
> Cocoon you are using to begin with. Processing XML can always be quite
> memory intensive depending on the size of the XML being processed and
> the amount and type of transformations taking place.

As the subject of this mail states, we're using cocoon 2.2 ;) The xml files
we are transforming are not large (about  400-500lines). We are doing one
special thing: we have a pipeline that generates an xslt transformation file
which is then used in another pipeline in a transformer:
<map:transform src="cocoon:/otherpipe" />

> > We would also like some more information about the scalability. Will
> cocoon
> > use a lot more memory when a few more clients connect?
>
> I'm not aware of any figures, but every request will of course take
> more memory, but I'm not sure what is 'a lot'. That mostly depends on
> the kind of transformations your application is doing.
>
> > Which configuration files/settings can we change to enable cocoon to
> handle
> > more requests? We would like to be able to handle about 40requests/second
> at
> > peak times.
>
> I'm not sure, that might depend on the interaction between the client
> and the cocoon server. 40 requests/second should definitely be
> possible, but that can depend on what Cocoon is doing. Is for instance
> the XML processing 'static' in certain situations? Then you might be
> thinking of caching the result of a certain pipeline or component
> output. That way you will be able to handle a lot more requests per
> second.

Caching is enabled for the static pipelines.

> > What type of server is recommend for this type of usage? How much RAM,
> CPU
> > power?
>
> Hmm that's a good question. I'm not really an infra guys, so I do not
> know the specs.
>

> > And one final question: are there any cocoon components that are optional
> > and therefore can be disabled? If yes, how can we check which components
> are
> > optional and how can we disable them? Will this help decrease the total
> > memory usage?
>
> This might help, but I'm not sure if disabling components will make it
> use less memory.  As far as I know most memory will be taken once a
> component is triggered in the request cycle.

Where can I disable these components and how should this be done?

> Cheers,
>
> Jeroen
>

> > thanks in advance,
> > best regards,