I thought about your options.

Solution 1 seems to have the same problem as i18n transformer: use a
pipeline as parameter for transformers. In this case is a parameter of
the xsl transformer.

Solution 2 in my case is not useful because i18n data is added in more
than one place in the pipeline.

I think I will do some changes to use the sql transformer to retrieve
i18n data. After all i18n data is stored in a relational database.

Regards

Alberto