Another kind of "hack" (if you cannot modify entity sources and they are
not external .xml files) would be setting all child objects' parent
references to null _before_ serializing that data.

Lets say you got: Author and Book entites with One-To-Many relationship.

You retrieve the entities from db and _before_ URLResponse, you modify
all Books entities with null reference to parent(Author) entity:

List<Author> authors = hibernateDAO.getAllAuthors();

// make sure hibernate session is closed and authors objects are _detached_
// with full data structure -> FetchType.EAGER

for (Author author: authors) {
      List<Book> books = author.getBooks();
      for (Book book: books)
            book.setAuthor(null);
}

Now you can safely call URLResponse with authors (they don't contain any
circular references anymore).

Greetings,
Greg