Yes, CXF automatically generates the co-located STS. See the following code:

https://github.com/apache/cxf/blob/master/rt/ws/security/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/ws/security/policy/interceptors/SecureConversationInInterceptor.java#L327

There is an option however to use a standalone STS. See this test-code:

https://github.com/apache/cxf/blob/master/services/sts/systests/advanced/src/test/java/org/apache/cxf/systest/sts/secure_conv/SecureConversationTest.java

You have to explicitly configure the service provider to send the received
SecurityContextToken off to the STS for validation.

Colm.