The client configuration needs a reference to a STSClient Object. See here
for an example:

https://github.com/apache/cxf/blob/master/services/sts/systests/advanced/src/test/resources/org/apache/cxf/systest/sts/secure_conv/cxf-client.xml

The service configuration requires the same as well as a custom validator
for SecureConversationTokens which uses the STSClient to validate the
received token:

https://github.com/apache/cxf/blob/master/services/sts/systests/advanced/src/test/resources/org/apache/cxf/systest/sts/secure_conv/cxf-service.xml

Colm.