I guess that OBR using an repository xml (metadata about bundles)
generated out of the maven artifacts from a maven repo (or more
federated repositories) can satisfy your requirements. And Jason van
Zyl (Sonatype) was talking lately about OBR repository support in
Nexus = automatically generate the metadata regarding OSGi artifacts
out of artifacts available in a repository.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM, David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Lets suppose we were in an alternate reality in which every artifact in
> maven repos was a correctly configured osgi bundle, using imports and
> exports rather than require-bundle.
>
> Now suppose I've downloaded all the bundles locally and have fired up osgi
> so it can see all of them.
>
> Now I try to load a bundle that imports some classes that are available from
> several bundles, say the geronimo, sun, and tomcat servlet 2.5 spec jars, or
> perhaps the slf4j interface classes.
>
> What facilities does osgi or felix provide to help decide which bundle will
> be selected to provide these classes?
>

> -background--
>
> We're looking at using osgi in Geronimo.  Currently we have a classloading
> system with most of the capabilities of the osgi classloading model but
> oriented more towards maven metadata.  Each geronimo specific artifact has
> some dependency metadata like maven dependencies that specify most of the
> classloader, and you can tweak it with filters to emulate the import/export
> conditions in osgi.
>
> Since the (multiple parents) of an artifact are specified as other
> artifacts, its easy, starting with a particular artifact, to pull in all its
> dependencies by artifact name and obtain all the pieces that are needed to
> run the artifact you are interested in.  This is just like maven: you
> specify a dependency in your pom and it and all its transitive dependencies
> are automatically downloaded and made available to your build.
>
> Btoh Geronimo and Maven have ways to override the original dependencies of
> an artifact and substitute something else.
>
> IIUC in osgi one can use require-bundle to specify dependencies in a similar
> way but again IIUC this is highly frowned upon from a theoretical
> perspective and I don't know of any way of overriding require-bundle
> specifications.
>
> So.... is there anything in osgi or felix that provides this kind of
> dependency specification that can be used with import/exports to specify
> specific bundles to satisfy import requirements?
>
> many thanks
> david jencks

Alin Dreghiciu
http://www.ops4j.org - New Energy for OSS Communities - Open