Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 18.11.2010, 11:50 -0500 schrieb Justin Edelson:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, den 01.08.2010, 14:07 +0200 schrieb Reto Bachmann-Gmuer:
> >> Hi Atle
> >>
> >> In the clerezza projects we're using more and more scala, the biggest
> >> disandvantage for me is that the maven-scr-plugin doesn't work for scala so
> >> I've to write the ds component descriptor by hand. We generallay don't use
> >> objects but classes, having ds caring about creating and activating the
> >> instances.
> >
> > I am by no means a Scala expert (whatever you will say now, but I am
> > just scared by the syntax ;-) )
> >
> > So, coming back to the scr-plugin problem: The plugin (currently) reads
> > the source files with the help of the QDox library. So I would assume
> > that the inability of the plugin to process Scala is related to this
> > situation.
> >
> > If you would know of a tool to read Scala source files for consumption
> > by the plugin, you are welcome to guide us there (or even better provide
> > a patch to use it ;-) ).
> >
> > I think a similar problem exists for Groovy (and yes, it would be nice
> > to have something there, too ;-) ).
>
> In theory, you might be able to use annotations (i.e. "real"
> annotations, not JavaDoc/QDox annotations). I've been planning on
> trying this technique with Groovy and maven-scr-plugin, but I haven't
> had the time to try it out. Beyond the fact that I personally prefer
> to use @Component instead of @scr.component, it just like parsing
> Scala (or Groovy) sources is far more complex than using the
> reflection API. To be clear, this is still going to require surgery to
> the scrplugin code, I just have a feeling that the surgery is going to
> more like foot surgery than brain surgery (if this metaphor makes
> sense).

The point about having QDox also parse for the Annotations is, that the
Annotations are defined to not be added to the class files to not create
run-time dependencies and to not create class-file incompatibilities.

Now, you may say we were over-cautious in this respect and another
retention policy would be viable (in terms of not creating runtime
dependencies), e.g. CLASS or even RUNTIME.

If we can go with that, it should -- theoretically -- be possible to
actually read the annotations from the classes instead of using the QDox
parser.

Regards
Felix