You are correct that the sevaral plugins just create the xml files in the end. Unfortunately there are several competing annotations and impls for the generation. I was also confused when I started to work with ds and there is no good documentation.

If you need a working example see my newest tutorial:
http://liquid-reality.de/display/liquid/2015/06/30/Apache+Karaf+Tutorial+part+10+-+Declarative+services

It uses the annotations defined by the OSGi specs and the maven-bundle-plugin (bnd) to create the xml.
So it should match the solution Neil proposes.

Christian