I've done a lot of custom Actionscript and AIR programming over the years and
recently I've been getting up to speed on Flex. It is an excellent platform
already with a massive amount of functionality in it's libraries. AIR support
continues to improve and runs on a lot of devices so I think that it's fair to
say that Flex is really capable of doing a whole lot. I also am very familiar
with the html side and frankly the two platforms are just different. I'd say
Flex is better for creating custom applications and having a lot of extras that
come with the platform and tooling. However, it can be difficult to explain the
details to non-technical folks and it's often a touchy issue for whatever
reason. Apache I think gives people and companies more control over the
framework if they need to make changes independently and faster as opposed to
waiting on Adobe.

Basically, Flex gives you all of the enterprise good stuff for interacting with
the back end, all of the components and skinning, and then all of the
underlying platform capabilities with the Actionscript language, stage3D, and
native accessibility. Then you can bring in more custom projects, animations,
or whatever else via the more traditional Flash tooling or whatever else might
output an swf. Then it also supports a lot of the open standards so you can
load in a lot of that as well.

So often it's more a question of what Flex can't do, and confusion surrounding
all of the things that it can do. As someone else mentioned, it seems to be a
case where Flex or the platform isn't the problem, rather just getting a clear
understanding of what it can do and getting support to actually use it :) I
always enjoyed using the Flash platform because it's fun and really nice to
use. I'm really happy to see such a great group of folks working on this
project and I hope that I'll be able to use Flex and AIR at my company in the
future.

Thanks,
David Hertenstein
Lead Developer