To: <users@flex.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:25 PM
Subject: Re: supported mapping APIs in Flex?

Yup. Ditto.
We were using the Google Flex API, and in all honestly, it beats MapQuest
on almost every single metric. However, and quite unfortunately Google
deprecated the API and it is no longer available.
So - we have switched everything over to MapQuest's Flex API.
For your information, and likewise for your sanity, here are a couple
points that may save you some time if you do any mobile development with
the MapQuest Flex API.

1: Pinch Zoom. Something is weird with the way they've implemented
pinchzoom. In both of our apps, pinchzoom will occasionally freeze the map.
So, to jog around the hassle, simply disable pinchzoom. I know it sucks,
but so far I've not found a fix.
2: Set your limits to around ~50 POIs on screen at any time. Too many POIs
(and unfortunately too many is around 50) will cause serious lag.
3: POI Declutter is nasty business. Don't allow this if there are a lot of
POIs on screen OR if you are zoomed out at all. Maybe the closest two
zoom-levels are the only zoom-levels where you'll not get horrifically
dramatic lag sessions.
4: If you're going to do a sort of "follow me" POI scenario, use
map.slideMapToLatLng(new LatLng(lat,lng)) to move, otherwise you're going
to get the map refreshing every time you try to set the new coordinates.

Have a good one :)

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Pedro Serralha <