The hosts file is a system wide configuration file. It's used for mapping
hostnames to ip addresses.

I think you can have hosts file per network card as well.

By default Flash builder attempts to debug via the loop back address eg
"localhost"

You can test it via the command line or shell via ping localhost

If its working correctly you should get something like:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mark>ping localhost

Pinging MarkLine [::1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms

Ping statistics for ::1:

C:\Users\Mark>

(Sorry i'm currently at work and on a Windows pc, but it will be pretty much
the same)