Thanks so much Jake, if you scroll down in the thread below, I found that
pinging to localhost works. Mavericks somehow already had 127.0.0.1 set as
local host, so I didn't change anything there.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jake Churchill" <reyna...@gmail.com>
To: users@flex.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:06:41 AM
Subject: Re: new Mac machine, running Flex application sticks at 57%

I recently went through something similar. Can you ping localhost? If
not, that's your problem. For some reason my host stuff broke when
switched to Mavericks. Fixing that fixed my flex debugging issues.

My issue was I tried to copy my old host file over and it broke things.
So, I started from scratch and made sure localhost worked, then slowly
added my additions, checking along the way.

-Jake