Finally I go with a workaround to never set a new contentWidth
with target.setContentSize(target.contentWidth, myCalculatedHeight)

that works and isn't too "hacky" because the layout works in a way that
every item is positioned relative to the target.width or the left side and
the content should never extend the target.width...

It's just that I'm not sooo satisfied with my workaround because I still
don't understand why resizing the window vertically makes the layout, when
it adds the scrollbar,  in some cases oscillate infinitely between a width
with and without the scollbar...