So I got a little advice on another board that GPU renderMode, while fast,
can often run out of memory fast when working with a large number of big
photos and a lot of screen changes.  I am running my app in Direct
renderMode and so far, have not experienced any crashes.  But there is a
noticeable performance hit.

I would absolutely love to keep my app running in GPU renderMode. I don't
think my app is failing due to a memory leak or faulty coding yet.  I think
that the GPU is running out of processing memory due to all of the images my
app processes.  So here is a follow-up question.  How effective is forcing
garbage collection, and does it effect the memory in the GPU as well???