For anybody who may ever run into this problem, I solved it by setting the
rendermode to "direct".  I had it set on "gpu", which improved the
performance of my application tremendously, especially when scrolling lists
that contained images.  It made it very smooth and I wish that I could
continue to keep the rendermode set to "gpu".  Sadly, that is what was
causing my app to lock up or crash.  As soon as I changed this back to
"direct", Adobe's recommended setting for mobile, I ran the app for over an
hour with not a single hangup or crash.

I want my cake and to eat it too LOL!!!