Hello Hugo and Geoffrey, hello all,

great that you get this to work and sorry for my late reply. I have been
abroad with limited internet connection.
Here are some additional comments/hints of mine.

In order to manipulate the layers to be printed I would prefer the
beforeencodelayer Event [1] (just as you already wrote Geoffrey and the
API says).
To achieve that layers are not displayed within the LegendPanel the
filter config option [2] could be helpful. Here you can define a
function returning true for layers to be displayed. Something like
(untested):

filter:  function(record)  {

     return  !(record.getLayer().CLASS_NAME === 'OpenLayers.Layer.Vector')
}

would avoid the vector layers beeing displayed. Maybe you want give it a
try and give feedback on the list.

Best regards,
Chris

[1] http://geoext.org/lib/GeoExt/data/PrintProvider.html