Hello everybody – and especially Dan Lewis.
I happened to read this thread about a database vs. spreadsheet. First of all I will thank Dan for him mentioning the “Getting Started Guide/Getting Started with Base/chapter 8"! I cannot understand how I could have missed it when I for some time have been looking for info about Base (LibreO & OOo).
It is an excellent briefing into how to build up a database using Base.

I think that you LibreO-guys should take a look at the layout where and how you introduce Base, how to get the “Getting started with Base” more visible – sort of nearer her/him who (like me) is looking for a really handy database tool. A week ago I asked your community “how get LibreO-Base working”. That is now OK (I found the JRE-file ”jxpiinstall.exe” and installed it before installing LO). Your Andreas then said that LO-Base is a front-end application, not a database. I’m not arguing but for an ordinary database consumer like me the front-end and the background database engine together mean one total database. After reading Dan’s “Chapter 8” I realized that LO-Base is The solution when a database of medium size/complexity is needed, either using the embedded HSQLDB or connecting to an external “real” database engine (e.g. MySQL or SQLite). Very much like MSAccess but free – no costs. After working some 10 years ago quite a lot with MSAccess I am a great fan of databases. Whenever I can I recommend to people not to limit to spreadsheets but build relational databases especially for their organizations but also at home. One of the great benefits compared with a spreadsheet is that you write input data only once thus minimizing both writing and writing errors - and then using the same data multiple times in different kind of reports. Another is that when a nspreadsheet is flat a (relational) database can handle data multi-dimensional which gives you the possibility to mix/combine data and get the most interesting analyzing results.
All the best
Pertti Rönnberg