OS: Kubuntu Maverick
Format: Yes, opening the OOo standard.dic in Kate shows a WBSWG6 at the
start.

I tried opening the dic in a Calc spreadsheet, with tab and space
delimiters; that got each word into one cell. I then rearranging then in one
column and saved it as a txt file. Then, when opened in Kate, I got one
column of words, as I wanted! But... when I tried copying it to .libreoffice
and renaming it as standard.dic, the attempted change did not work. Using
Tools... to Edit "standard.dic" showed the same old one with the
run-together words.

I'll pursue the links soon. They look very helpful, Manfred. Thanks very
much for your attention to this.