From: John Hardy <johnha...@johnhardyco.com>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Bug #48365 filed six weeks ago. No sign of
acknowledgement.
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Monday, 21 May, 2012, 8:53

Marc;

> Here is the screen capture that I get:
> http://www.parentreprise.com/images/LibreOffice/990C-Graphics2012-03-19.odg.png

Your captured image is (obviously) not even close to what it is supposed to
look like. The "990c" text appears to be a completely different font in your
screen capture. HOWEVER: I just loaded the file directly from the bug report
page into Draw 3.5.2.2 again. The file was in read-only mode, so I Saved it to
my hard drive and reopened it to be able to see what the actual fonts are.
Observations:

1. The "990c" text looked OK. When I highlight the "990c" text, the font is
identified by Draw as "Square 721" with the Bold attribute turned on. This is
an OpenType font, and the Bold attribute should not be on. When I turn the Bold
attribute off, the font changes completely, looking much less square, much more
rounded, similar to the font in your screen capture. It looks like a slightly
bolder version of the font that is used for the text under the "990c" text,
specifically the "U.S. PATENT #4,287,479" text (the "9" is the best clue). That
text is the "Formata" font. There is a bold version of Formata, and the "990c"
text from your image is bolder than the regular Formata, but not as bold as the
actual Bold version. But almost identical in form. I wonder if some metrics
were mixed up.

2. The font name "Square 721" that is displayed when I highlight the existing
"990c" text isn't the full name of the font. If I add new text, the font list
has "Square 721 Condensed" as the name of the font, and the Bold attribute is
NOT turned on. It does not need to be turned on. In fact, turning the Bold
attribute ON has no effect on the appearance of the font in this case. If I add
new text using "Square 721 Condensed", then go back to that text later to
verify, it is still described as "Square 721 Condensed". I don't know if the
shorter name of the font in the example drawing matters. It may just be a
shorthand way for Draw to identify the font by name. Or it may be an indication
of other issues with the handling of fonts.

Some of the small type appears to be a different font than it should be,
particularly the word "OUT" (Output). It is supposed to be much narrower in
appearance, using the "Humanist 521 condensed" font. Same effect with the "-V"
and "+V" text (the "+V" text is partially covered by the mangled "990c" text in
your image.

I've done some quick experiments with a simple new drawing created in Draw
3.5.2.2. I'm not sure, but things seem to be handled OK when Exported as an EPS
file. On the other hand, GIMP printed a blank page. So, I will look into it
more tomorrow. Lots of variables. There is also the fact that you are using a
slightly later version of Draw (3.5.3.2), so it is hard to tell where the
errors are being introduced.

Thanks you very much for your help. More information later.

John